Early this morning, Olivia and I arrived at the Riverton hospital to have surgery on her ear. When she was 18 months old we had tubes placed in her ears to help with chronic ear infections. The tube in her right ear fell out 8 months ago. The left tube also tried to fall out but got stuck. It caused some damage to the ear drum, as a result scar tissue started to form and grew over the tube. Today Dr. Meads was going remove the tube and scar tissue. After removing everything he was going to patch the ear drum with a piece of skin from her ear or a paper patch.
When we arrived in her room, they had the board all decorated with her name, a brand new froggy blanket for her on the bed and a doll to color on. I got her changed into the hospital gown and all snuggled under blankets. Olivia was so excited to start coloring her doll. The nurse then came in and gave her medicine to help her relax. Twenty minutes later she was very relaxed. I giggled just a little watching her druel and talk nonsense words. It then came time for them to wheel her down the hall to the operating room. I have been in this position more than once. I have seen four of my children be wheeled down that hall. It never gets easy as you worry about them.
The surgery took about 30 minutes and a male nurse came into the room holding her. He quickly explained that when she woke up she refused to let the nurses near her. She even tried to bite one of them. They decided to bring her to me in the hopes she would settle down and they could get her vitals. I took her from him and she immediately snuggled right up next to me and closed her little eyes. The nurses were finally able to take her vitals. Dr. Meads explained to me that not only was there scar tissue on the outside of the ear drum but also behind in the middle ear. He was able to repair the hole in the ear drum and expected her to have full function in that ear. Such great news.
When we arrived in her room, they had the board all decorated with her name, a brand new froggy blanket for her on the bed and a doll to color on. I got her changed into the hospital gown and all snuggled under blankets. Olivia was so excited to start coloring her doll. The nurse then came in and gave her medicine to help her relax. Twenty minutes later she was very relaxed. I giggled just a little watching her druel and talk nonsense words. It then came time for them to wheel her down the hall to the operating room. I have been in this position more than once. I have seen four of my children be wheeled down that hall. It never gets easy as you worry about them.
The surgery took about 30 minutes and a male nurse came into the room holding her. He quickly explained that when she woke up she refused to let the nurses near her. She even tried to bite one of them. They decided to bring her to me in the hopes she would settle down and they could get her vitals. I took her from him and she immediately snuggled right up next to me and closed her little eyes. The nurses were finally able to take her vitals. Dr. Meads explained to me that not only was there scar tissue on the outside of the ear drum but also behind in the middle ear. He was able to repair the hole in the ear drum and expected her to have full function in that ear. Such great news.
I am so thankful for modern medicine and that I have been blessed with great doctors for my kids.
It took an hour before Olivia finally started eating popsicles and was released from the hospital. She loved bring pushed in the wheelchair to the car by the nurse.
It was a long tiring day but I am glad my sweet girl will make a full recovery.
It took an hour before Olivia finally started eating popsicles and was released from the hospital. She loved bring pushed in the wheelchair to the car by the nurse.
It was a long tiring day but I am glad my sweet girl will make a full recovery.
No comments:
Post a Comment