``

``

Sunday, December 25, 2011

MeRRy CHriStMas !!!!!!

Dashing through the snow in a four door Honda Pilot, over the hills we go laughing all the way.  OK so this year there was no snow but our dashing began the morning of Christmas Eve and continued through the evening Christmas Day.  First stop on our merry festivus travels was Grandma and Grandpa Hamilton's for the traditional duchoven breakfast casserole and Grandpa's sourdough pancakes.  My Mom is quite the organizer and has everything planned right down to the last minute with each family arriving at their assigned time.  This is done so that there is room for everyone to sit and enjoy breakfast.  My family traditionally has always been given the last arrival time.  Mom has never voiced why that is, but I have come to the conclusion that it is for two reasons.   Reason number one she knows me and  I am always running late.  Second  is because when our sled lands and everyone unloads all chaos begins.  My Mom goes through great effort to make sure everyone knows that she has thought of them.  It is a guarantee that Josh's favorite raspberry syrup will be sitting on the table with an extra jar for him to take home and there will be a fresh batch of salsa for Jon.  I am beginning to think that she really spoils the men in the family. Once everyone is full we all gather around the Christmas tree to exchange and open gifts.  This year each cousin bought a present for the cousin that was closest to them in age.  The kids really enjoyed the gifts they got.  Josh got a snowboard, U of U sweatshirt, and movie passes.  Lexi received the Harry Potter book series and movie passes. Isabelle was surprised with a barbie computer and DS game.  Olivia enthusiastically opened a  make-up vanity, activity computer and Dora sleeping bag.  Sam, who received more help then he wanted opening gifts, was showered with clothes and lots of baby toys.  Grandma and Grandpa also gave each grand kid a movie pass and gift card to Arctic circle.  The adults got gift cards to Texas Roadhouse. The rest of the afternoon was spent laughing and just hanging out.  I know it time to herd my little elves to the door when I see Jon's eyes gloss over and he gets that zoned out look.  Jon's tolerance level increases by a half an hour each year.  It was not long after Jon zoned out, that we loaded up and headed back home in the non- existent snow storm to wrap presents and get ready for SANTA!!!!! 
It has always been a tradition at our house on Christmas eve to the let the kids open their Christmas PJ's and then we read the birth of Christ in the scriptures.  Within seconds of reading the last word, Jon and I quickly hustled the kids off to bed to dream of sugar plums and await Santa's arrival.






Christmas Morning

 

Christmas morning started extremely early this year.  Twice I caught Lexi up wondering around and sent her back to bed.  I found it difficult to hide my laughter each time I catch them trying to sneak downstairs.  Lexi waited as long as she could and then at 4 am she decided to recruit the others to help her in convincing Jon and I that it was time to open presents.  It was at that moment Jon kicked into drill Sargent mode and sent them back to bed again.  Lexi being the most determined of our children didn't let that stop her and at 5:30 she had everyone was up and this time it was for good.  Santa spoiled our kids this year, Josh got a bike, Lexi a kindle, Isabelle an American Girl doll (one that looked just like her), Olivia a scooter and Sam a mobile for his crib. The kids were so excited, however I knew that there were several other wonderful surprises awaiting for them under the tree.  Josh and Lexi each got a cell phone.  I sure hope Jon and I don't regret that decision.  Josh also got air soft bee bee's and Lexi got some accessories for her Kindle.  Isabelle got several outfits for her American Girl doll, boots and hobby lobby gift card.  Olivia got a baby stroller and a booster seat for the table.  Sam received bedding for his crib and a cover for his car seat.  The kids got a Jon a new gym bag and I gave him a wallet with loads of cash tucked inside.  I was spoiled this year with a new cell phone , several accessories for it and tickets to see the Broadway hit Wicked when it comes the capital theater in July. I would say considering Jon was deployed for almost the entire month we pulled this Christmas thing off. The kids spent most of the afternoon playing and destroying the house then we were off to Jon's parents for dinner and another cousin gift exchange.






Immediately upon arriving at Grandma and Grandpa Kenworthy's the kids got to open their presents.  Grandma and Grandpa were just to excited to have them wait.  Josh got a Call of Duty game for the Wii.
Izzy got a $100 visa card, white board and coloring books.

Josh got a  30.06 rifle for hunting.  Grandpa used his creativity and burried it deep in that big box.

Lexi got a new coat, cute boots for school  and big white board for her room.

Olivia got a princess dress, princess shoes, and bath paints.


Sam got a gift card for clothes.  I love that each year Grandma Rose makes yummy Mexican food. She has tacos, chili verde, homemade tortillas, salsa and the list goes on.  It is all so delicious that I find it difficult to find room in my stomach to fit everything I want to try.  It is not long after we arrive that Aunt Dee Dee and Uncle Wayne arrive.  It only gets crazier  from there as Jon's cousins Jared and Jason arrive with their families. I love to sit back and watch as Jon entertains everyone with his amazing ability to tell stories.  I am so blessed to have such wonderful parents and in-laws that make every effort to establish traditions with our children that will be cherished for a lifetime. 
All in all it was a wonderful but tiring Holiday.

No comments:

Post a Comment