``

``

Monday, May 2, 2011

Thank you mom

When I was a little girl every summer and fall I would help my mom can peaches, pears, salsa and tomatoes for our family.  I now do this for my own family and feel a real sense of accomplishment in the end when the jars are all lined up on the counter.  Sometimes the kids like helping me and I hope that I am passing on a tradition that will  provide benefit to them later. Today Izzy and I made applesauce and apple pie filling.  Izzy was in charge of washing the apples and then passing them over for me to peel and core.  When the apples were cooked she measured and added all the spices. Once it was in the jars she wanted to share with all the neighbors. She invited her friends over and split a jar of applesauce between all of them.  She was so proud of herself and I loved seeing the pride in her face. I will always be thankful to my own mother who not only passed on this knowledge but provided me with an opportunity to create memories with my children.

1 comment:

  1. That is such a great thing you're passing down. I remember helping my mom but I always did as little as possible. Of course now I'm wishing I would have paid more attention!!

    ReplyDelete