``

``

Monday, April 6, 2015

Breaking Wylie

Jon and Josh have been wanting to train a wild mustang for a long time and this weekend that dream came true for them. I  know you are thinking, wow that is awesome. I on the other hand was not thinking that, in fact I was totally against it. Before you judge me though, my reasoning was not what you suspect. I wasn't against the idea because I doubted their abilities to train a wild mustang. My concern was solely based on timing. Jon was leaving the end of May for 3 months on a military assignment. I questioned how I was going to keep track of 5 kids, donkeys, rabbits, a goat and a wild mustang. The arrangements had been made to pick the horse up on our way home Easter weekend. We arrived at the tip trainers home and was given our first introduction to Wylie. My first impression of Wylie was not a good one. As he was being led out of the coral he was jumping all around the place and so skittish. I was furious, this horse was exactly what I feared. We stayed for a few hours while the trainer showed us and taught us about Wylie. I stood there the whole time with my arms crossed not sure how this was going to work. The time came for us to load Wylie and take him home. Once he was loaded Jon went to complete some paperwork which left me alone with this wild horse inside our horse trailer. I stood by the wheels looking in at him and he at me. Wylie and I came to an understanding in that moment. If he hurt my son or husband I would not hesitate to end him. I did not speak much on the drive home. We arrived home and unloaded Wylie, no skittish behavior. He was calm as we introduced him to his new home. The next day I took these pictures as they worked with Wylie. He must have known my threat was not an idle one, wink wink. I am beginning to rethink my anger at the timing of getting Wylie. I have seen such excitement in the eyes of my son and husband. To tell the truth I am kind of fond of that horse. He is so sweet and will be such a great addition to our little farm family.

No comments:

Post a Comment