The day after Christmas we loaded up the kids and took them to spend several days at Capital Reef National Park. We love going this time of year, there are no crowds and most days you can just wear a sweater while hiking around to see such beautiful country.
I love this view driving into Teasdale, Utah where we stay in this cute cabin. This year my parents went with us and rented the cabin next to us.
Jon and I always stay in the this room of the cabin. It is surrounded by these large windows and the views outside are spectacular. I love waking up in the morning seeing the sun come up over the top of the red cliffs and feel it's warmth streaming in through the windows.
Olivia loved spending the nights hanging out by the fire in her jammies. Lexi, Izzy and I spent the evenings playing games with Grandma and Grandpa.
One night after taking his bath, Sam talked Josh into wrapping him up in a towel so he could look just like him. He is always wanting to be like his big brother.
December 27 we took everyone down to Grand Escalante National Park and played for hours climbing and exploring the rocks and formations in the Devil's Garden.
We stopped by the Anasazi State Park. We learned all about the Anasazi Indians and the amazing stone structures they built above and below ground.
Olivia completed the Junior Ranger Program and got her badge from the Park Ranger.
Sam could not be out done so he worked hard and became a Junior Ranger also.
Isabelle had to work the hardest. She completed the entire Junior Ranger booklet and also earned her badge. My kids have loved participating the Junior Ranger Program every time we visit a National Park.
A few more pictures of us in Devil's Garden.
December 28 we headed into Capital Reef National Park. We first started by hiking 3 miles up the side of this huge rock formation to see the Cassidy Arch. This is one of the most difficult hikes in the park.
Once we got on top the views were absolutely gorgeous.
This is the Cassidy Arch. It is amazing to me how wind and water can form such beautiful arches and formations.
Olivia got a little tired and so while the others hiked on just a little bit further. She and I sat under this tree. I held her and rocked her while we talked about her thoughts on the beauty she could see around her. I love hearing her sweet little voice talk about the colors and different trees and asking how they could stay on the rocks. It was such a special time with Olivia. One on one time with my kids is very precious and today was meaningful. I was glad Olivia's legs were tired and she couldn't walk any further. I cherished her and we talked about everything her little eyes could see. It was such a beautiful moment as I was given time to explain to her how all this was created by Heavenly Father and he sent Christ down to form the Earth and report back to him on its progress. I testified to her that God created this world and how blessed we are that he made so beautiful. Her eyes were lite up and full of wonder as we talked.
After hiking to the arch we took the scenic drive through the Grand Wash. It is absolutely breath taking. There are no words to describe its beauty and majesty. I didn't have a single picture that captured its beauty. I guess it warrants another trip back to get some pictures and hike to pioneer rock.
These were the beautiful views as we left the park.
Monday arrived and it was time to head home. We were all ready to get home but enjoyed every moment of this little trip. We had some crazy weather coming home with snow and slick roads but the kids were amazing at keeping themselves entertained. Olivia couldn't wait to snuggle with her kitty Gizmo. The kids were excited to be back with friends and enjoy some time off school. Our family needed this time together and it was absolutely perfect.
No comments:
Post a Comment