Oct 27, 2011 at 6:30 pm our beautiful little Samuel was born. He weighed 5 lbs 10 oz and was 18 1/2 inches long.
The day started out as any normal Thursday, at ten o'clock I arrived at my Dr.'s office for an ultrasound and weekly appointment. The week before I had measured a little small, which has happened with each of my babies. Just to be on the safe side, my doctor wanted me to have an ultrasound each week. Jon had been with me, and we joked about how he was leaving to go back East for work and so I had to do what ever it took to wait until he got home before going into labor.
OK so back to that Thursday. I checked in at the imaging department and it wasn't long before they called me back. It is always exciting each time you get to see your little one. I was not nervous, just annoyed that I had to have an ultrasound to tell me what I already knew. It was not long before my sweet boy appeared on the TV screen. The technician took all of his measurements and everything looked great, his weight was estimated at 6 lbs. I am not sure if it was out of instinct or just routine but she decided to measure the fluid around the baby. She started at his head and then worked her way around his little body. A few short minutes later she turned to me in a very calm voice and explained to me that she could not find any fluid around my baby. The technician then explained that she would check with my doctor first, but that I should plan on having my baby today. It took a few minutes for the news to register. I think I was still in shock as I walked into Dr. Barney's office and was ushered back into a room. I sat in the room looking at my phone for a few minutes knowing I could not call Jon but would have to deliver this news to him by text. I think I typed the text three times before sending it, to let Jon know we were having a baby today. My Dr. arrived and explained that he would be leaving to go out of town in the evening and so we needed to get me started right now. All I could think is, "OH MY HELL THIS IS REALLY HAPPENING". Then Dr. Barney looked at me and said, "you are in so much trouble, not only are you having a baby today but your blood pressure is really high." I laughed and in my most sarcastic voice told him that of course my blood pressure was high, who wouldn't have high blood pressure after receiving the news I just did.
I sat at the nurses station while she called over to get me checked in at the hospital. I quickly started making a checklist in my head of what arrangements I was going to need to make for my other children. First on the list was to call my mom who was babysitting Olivia to let her know I would not be coming to pick her up and then I would need to find someone to pick up the older children from the bus stop after school. I then sent another text to Jon to tell him that I was checking into the hospital and that I would keep him updated as often as I could. Thank goodness for my mom because it only took one call to her and she was quickly helping me make arrangements. She called my in-laws to pick up Olivia and then go to my house and meet the other children when they got off the bus. My in-laws agreed to keep all the kids for the rest of the day and that night so my mom headed to the hospital to sit with me. I was hoping my in-laws were well rested because after school is always insane at my house.
After talking to Jon the kids arrived to see their little brother, however they were only allowed to look at him through the nursery window. See about an hour after Sam was born he started having difficulty maintaining his body temperature and as a result his blood glucose level had dropped extremely low. My sweet Josh stood forever looking at his little brother through the window. After awhile I sent the kids home because they had school the next day. Josh refused to leave until he could hold his little brother. In order to get Josh to go home I had to promise that Grandma would bring him back up to the hospital the next day right after school. It took about 3 hours under the warmer in the nursery to get his body temp up and almost 24 hours to stabilize his blood glucose levels. Sam and I spent a quite evening together. The nurses really don't bother you much when they find out you are on your fifth child.
I would say Josh is one proud big brother.
We now call Izzy our, "middlest" child because she has an older brother and sister and a younger brother and sister.
Olivia immediately called Sam her baby and was very protective of him.
Lexi is amazing with her little brother and is such a big help. There are many days I really count on her and I am thankful she is there to help.
I took this picture to show Jon how long Sam's toes are. His skin was very dry and wrinkly due to the lack of fluid. You can see the bandaid on his foot where they continually had to draw blood to monitor his glucose levels.
Jon meet Sam for the first time on Nov 4. Jon walked in the door around 10pm that night to all of the older children asleep on the couch and baby Sam sleeping in my arms. There are no words to describe what we both felt as he took Sam in his arms. Jon has always had an amazing connection with our children right from birth and Sam is no exception.


This is a beautiful story of your birth experience. I am sorry it wasn't what you had hoped for, but what an amazing event! Congratulations on your beautiful baby boy. I love his name and you are right, he does look like a Samuel!
ReplyDeleteWhat a blessing to be able to have your baby in your arms. I didn't know about all the things that happened before. Beautiful story to remember. I love the name. Congratulations again!
ReplyDeleteOur son is amazing Stacey. Thank you.
ReplyDelete