``

``

Monday, August 11, 2014

Piano refinished

I have been wanting to refinish or paint my piano for a long time. I knew it would be a long a tedious task, so finding time to do it was a challenge. I spent lots of time looking on Pinterest to learn how. I really wanted to do something that would last for a long time. I found lots of sights where the piano was spray painted bright colors. However those colors are trendy and I didn't want to find myself doing this again in a few years. I decided to go with a beautiful black. I knew it would look classy and would be very versatile. I started the bench first just to make sure I liked it. I loved it, so I decided to tackle the piano. I started be taking the whole thing apart. I carefully labeled everything and placed screws and hinges into labeled bags. Next came removing the keys, this gave me so much anxiety. I carefully removed and numbered each one. Day 1 was now complete! The following day I covered all the strings, used wood filler to correct dings and scratches. It was then time for the first coat of primer. It took two coats of primer to get the coverage I wanted. The next day I started to paint it black. I used a good quality FLAT black paint. Why flat and not a gloss, because flat covers better and I knew I would be using polyurethane on it later to protect it. It took two coats of paint to get the coverage I wanted. Day 3 was now complete but the most tedious task was still ahead. I decided to cover it in polyurethane to give it a beautiful glossy finish and protect it from anything my children might do to it. It had a wax covering on it before and I hated it. It was hard to clean, scratched easily and never looked clean. So back to the first coating of polyurethane. It is really thin and runs easy so I decided to do really thin coats. Once the first coat dried, which takes about 24 hours, I then lightly sanded the entire piano . I applied a second coat and a third allowing each coat to dry for 24 hours and sanding in between. Seriously that was so time consuming. I loved the way it turned out. Now the hardest task of all to convince Jon and several neighbors to move it into the house. I am so excited to see how it will look in the room.

No comments:

Post a Comment