``
Sunday, April 3, 2011
72 hour kits
About a year ago I decided it was time to stop procrastinating and get my family ready for a disaster so we put together 72 hour kits. I did not think much about it until recent events in Japan brought it back to the forefront of my mind. The country of Japan was struck by a major earthquake. If the earthquake was not enough the country was then hit with a major tsunami. I watched in horror as images were shown on the TV of those who could not locate loved ones and all families that lacked the basic necessities of survival. I knew that one of the few things I could do to help the Japanese people was to pray for them and to learn from their suffering. I really grew to love the Japanese culture when I went there on two occasions to stay with Jon. Jon was stationed in Atsugi Japan for 3 year in the Navy. I thought back to my own families preparedness and decided it was time to get the 72 hours kits out again and rotate the food, water and make sure they were complete and ready to go!!! On conference Sunday the kids brought their kits into the living room and we unpacked everything. We then replaced all the food and water. I was able to talk to my children about the suffering in Japan and explain why it is important to be prepared as a family. We talked about what they would do if a disaster stuck while they were at school and how we would respond if they were at home. We put Jon's 72 hour kit should be in his car because he would most likely be at work and would need it. I am glad that the Church encourages us to be prepared and I am striving to follow that council.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment