``

``

Saturday, November 15, 2014

Veterans Day

I have been really discouraged as of late, as I watched the elections come and go. I have wondered if Americans really care about this Great Nation and the freedoms they enjoy, or are the so caught up in tweeting about the latest nude photos of Kim Kardashian. Do they know as much about this Nation as they do about their favorite sports team or latest fashion style. Are Americans paying attention to what really matters?
This week as we celebrated Veterans Day my hope was renewed. The night of Veterans Day Jon and I were invited to attend the Seventh Annual American Festival Chorus Veterans Memorial Concert. Prior to the concert we attended a small dinner with Congressman Chris Stewart, a honored veteran himself. The chorus, directed by Craig Jessop was absolutely spectacular. The concert was amazing and the speech given by the Congressman was very patriotic. However what I remembered most was a young violinist sitting in the front row of the Utah State orchestra.  It took everything she had to keep her emotions in check as beautiful patriotic songs were played. My faith in the people of this Nation was restored. There sitting before me was a young girl who loved this Country as much as I do. She knew and was emotional about sacrifices so many had made to keep this Nation strong and our freedoms secure. My eyes too were filled with tears as a lone trumpet player filled the auditorium with its familiar sound, playing taps. It was then followed by the bagpipes. That truly is the sound of freedom because those familiar sounds echo across graveyards throughout this land, every time one of our Veterans is laid to rest. I came away that night with renewed hope, hope that would be built upon a few days later as I attended to USU football game. It was military appreciation and the ROTC was in charge of the pregame and halftime presentations. I watched as the Veterans of Foreign wars presented the game ball to the referee. I watched as my husband, dressed in his dress blues, escorted an 90 year old WWII vet onto the field to be honored for his service.
How blessed we are to live in such a great Nation. May we continue to fight for her and those freedoms we enjoy. May we always honor those that headed the call to serve and do for us what we can not do for ourselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment