``

``

Sunday, June 29, 2014

Our early baby

Today we came home from church to find that one of our heifers had her calf. We knew she was pregnant but wasn't due to calf until September, so imagine our shock when Josh came running into the house to tell us there was a calf in the pasture. Jon and I went outside and sure enough there was a brand new baby. She was still wet from being born and unable to stand, so we knew she was only a few hours old at the most. She is the cutest little thing, all black except for a white strip down the front of her nose. We knew we needed to separate momma from the other cows so later that evening Jon went out to move her.
Everyday tends to be an adventure here and today was no exception. Momma was not to happy about Jon being in the pasture. She all the sudden turned and within a few short minutes decided to charge Jon. Jon starting doing his best rodeo clown moves to get away from here, until he tripped on the edge of the irrigation ditch and went down.  All I  could do is watch in disbelief from the fence. Momma stopped about 2 feet short, thank goodness. Knowing that he was now safe, I couldn't help but laugh. There stood my hubby covered in poop, trying his best not to be pissed. I guess you could say that momma cow won that battle. Sometimes I feel like I am living a dream I don't want to wake from. Not many people can sit on their back porch, watching their cows graze with the sun just starting to set behind the mountain. I truly am blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment