It was a fun first grade field trip to the American West Heritage Center, full of learning and laughing. Sam and I meet Livy's class today and had fun learning all about our pioneer heritage. They learned to shuck wheat, milk a cow, press apples for apple cider, wash clothes, shuck corn and make a cup holder in the blacksmith shop. My kids learned what it was like to live without electricity and cook with a wood stove. They gathered eggs and learned the purpose of a root cellar and also an outhouse. Livy got a good kick out of the fact that corn cobs were used as toilet paper. I think it is so important for kids to learn about their pioneer heritage and understand how hard they worked to maintain their lives. I think it helps them appreciate the way of life they enjoy today.
No comments:
Post a Comment