I recently saw a statistic that claimed: 1% serve so that the rest of the 99% can enjoy everything freedom has to offer. I don't how accurate this statistic is but what I do know is that my husband, Jon, and my son, Josh, took an oath, when they joined, to defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that they would bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that they would obey the orders of the President of the United States and the orders of the officers appointed over them, according to regulations and the Uniform Code of Military Justice. SO HELP THEM GOD. Years later when Jon completed OCS (Officer Candidate School) and became an officer in the Army, he took the following oath: "I do solemnly swear that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion, and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office on which I am about to enter. So help me God.
The truths stated in these oaths is the number one reason that we see military service as a calling. The Constitution is not just a document written by men long ago, it is the foundation of our country. It ensures and protects our most important, God-given gift, the gift of agency. As soldiers they agree to defend those rights even if it means the loss of their life. They defend it against all those that would try to take those rights away. Unfortunately, we live in world were there are individuals, groups, or world leaders that want to deny others their God-given right of agency. As a result there has to be those that are willing to defend it all costs. These freedoms and the gift of agency are so important to our family that we willingly support our soldiers serving by doing what it takes so that they can serve. For my children that has meant that their Dad has missed several birthdays, concerts, ball games, holidays and even the birth of Sam because he is fulfilling his duty, his calling.
I can count on one hand the several times we have been able to celebrate Fathers' Day with Jon. It means extra work at home with jobs and chores because Dad is away. It means quiet moments when they break down and let those emotions of sadness come out because they miss him. They do it; we do it because we know our sacrifices are small compared to what it would be like living without the freedom and agency we have been granted. In summary, someone has to protect our freedom so why not our family? Why not my husband? Why not my son?
The second reason is because of our belief in God and his son, Jesus Christ, and our right of religious freedom. Many who know us know that we are members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. Without the freedom to choose how we want to worship, would I even be able to express my faith in Christ or talk about the church I belong to? In recent months I have been asked several times if my son is going to serve a mission for our Church. There has been concern expressed that he has chosen not to go on a mission and a strong concerted effort to convince him to serve a mission. Many have wondered, asked, and expressed concern that I am not doing more to encourage him to serve a mission. Do I not love my son and want what is best for him? Some have even questioned my husband being an example to our son because he has not served a mission. At first I was offended that so many would lessen the commitment Josh and Jon have already made but as I have reflected on this, I have come to realize that they mean well but may not understand that for our family we see military service as a calling; it is their MISSION. It is my sons calling, my husbands calling and our family's calling. I believe one hundred percent that Josh and Jon are right where God wants them; this is the mission that God has called them to.
Ask most soldiers and they will tell you that there was always something pressing them to join; some feeling, some desire. You don't remain in the military as long as Jon has because it's the most awesome job ever. In fact, it requires a lot of sacrifice and long hours for very little reward. We know that this is the path God has for our family. We love the gospel and our family has had many opportunities to share the gospel with others. In 2005 through 2006 Jon served in Iraq. He was surrounded by soldiers from other countries and soldiers from many faiths. They knew him and what he stood for. One moment stands out most for me; it is an experience Jon wrote about on the inside cover of his military Book of Mormon.
Let me share it with you: "2 APR 06, Went on a route sanitation mission last night. Used the Priesthood to call down angels (a legion) to protect the 24 soldiers with me. Walked the streets of Baghdad Iraq looking for IEDS (improvised explosive devices) on foot from 2100 hrs (9:00pm) to 0300 hours (3:00 am). Walked one of the most dangerous roads in Iraq. Did not see one insurgent. I am convinced that the power of God in the Priesthood kept us safe: Heard 3 shots as we re-entered the FOB (forward operating base) Loyalty. Everyone returned safely. The Priesthood is real. We have a Father in Heaven and a Savior in Christ. Joseph Smith was a prophet. Gordon B. Hinkley is a Prophet today."
I have kept this Book of Mormon safely locked away for years so that my children would have it to read and know the strength and conviction of their Dad's testimony in the event that he never returned home to us. This is one small example of the experiences Jon has had over the last 20 years to teach, tell, and share his testimony of the Savior with others. Many times he has served his fellow-men just as the Savior has instructed us all to do.
Josh has also had similar opportunities in the 10 months he has served. At the end of his time in boot camp Josh's Drill Sargent had a nickname for a group of soldiers that Josh took to church with him on Sundays. He called them the Mormon Battalion because Josh had collected a large group. As a family we have also been able to share the gospel with others. We have had Soldiers from Morocco, Azerbaijan and South Korea in our home. They have eaten at our table, participated in prayer with us and we have taken them to Temple Square. They have felt the Spirit in our home and have often times commented on it. In turn our family has been able to learn so many wonderful things about their religion and their beliefs, thanks to the beautiful gift of religious freedom.
I have no doubt that they have returned home remembering their experience in our home as we have remembered them and been grateful for the time that they spent with us. If you are close to our family, you have heard these stories but most of you who are reading this I am sure are asking yourselves why you haven't. Faith-building missionary stories are a standard in a Latter Day Saint Sacrament meeting. We hear about the family who finally accepted the gospel after years of lessons from the missionaries or that one convert that was found on the very last day behind the very last door the missionary knocked on. Telling these stories is encouraged and expected; we love to hear them and our testimonies grow every time we do. It is different for a Soldier.
A Soldier will not get up and share something like this. Why? It is not accepted in the military culture but rather it is seen as bragging (Please don't miss understand. I am not saying missionaries are bragging when they share). Soldiers serve and help their brothers-in-arms in a quiet and reserved manner. They do it out of commitment and love. Jon didn't use the power of the Priesthood that night to convert his fellow soldiers; he did it out of duty to fellow his soldiers out of concern for their safety as well as his own. For the most part, you will not hear a soldier share stories like these because it is not acceptable in military culture. I am sure that when Jon reads this post he too will be a little uneasy that I have shared his experience with all of you. Being a soldier has helped teach my husband and son to be leaders, it has strengthened their testimony of the gospel, and it has taught them selfless service which leads me into my third reason Jon and Josh serve.
When a soldier joins the Army he is taught seven values. From that point forward, they live them every day and in everything they do. The seven core Army values are what a soldier is all about. Those values are Loyalty, Duty, Respect, Selfless Service, Honor, Integrity, and Personal Courage. I want to focus on the value of Selfless Service. Selfless Service is putting the welfare of the nation, the Army, and your subordinates before your own. Selfless Service is larger than just one person. In serving your country.
You are doing your duty loyally without thought of recognition or gain. The basic building block of selfless service is the commitment of each team member to go a little further, endure a little longer, and look a little closer to see how he or she can add to the effort. Jon and Josh take this value very serious, not just in regards to the Army but in their personal lives. I have witnessed it over and over. I have watched them walk out the door without a second thought to help someone else. I have watched them serve others together.
A few years ago our little town received more snow then I have ever seen. When spring came and that snow began to melt many people found that their homes were flooding and rivers were overflowing their banks. I watched on several occasions as my husband and son headed out the door to help fill and deliver sand bags. When they have been asked to serve, not once have I ever heard them mutter a complaint. I have watched my son leave our house during the night to help a friend in need whose car had gotten stuck. Recently I was texting with Josh during the Super Bowl. He was in AIT (Army school) and was watching the game with a bunch of other soldiers. He was really enjoying the game and suddenly he just stopped texting. Later I found out that he had left the Super Bowl party to help a fellow soldier. This soldier was struggling at AIT; he was struggling to pass his tests and meet the standards set forth by their Drill Sergeant. Josh knew that he was alone in his room so he choose to leave the Super Bowl party and just sit and play video games with this soldier so he wasn't alone. He didn't do it for recognition but instead he did it out of concern for his fellow soldier.
Jon has served this great Nation for over 20 years and he has set the example in our home about what it means to serve others. All of my children have a deep appreciation of service. Many times they have turned down opportunities to do things because they have had to serve each other here in our home or have chosen to serve someone in our neighborhood. I have watched as they have put their own personal things aside to help me or their siblings while their Dad has been gone. They have expressed gratitude and gratefulness that their Dad selflessly serves his Country when he has missed events that were important to them. To selflessly serve is the third reason why we see military service as a calling and important to our family. Learning to serve selflessly makes us better humans, gives our lives purpose, and helps to live the way the Savior lived. He never asked for recognition, he served those who were in need regardless of who they were.
I hope that as you approach this 4th of July holiday that you will express thankfulness and gratitude for this incredible Country that we live in and freedoms we enjoy. Please remember those soldiers that are currently deployed and are helping to secure these same freedoms for others. My family will continue doing what we feel like the Lord has called us to do and it is my humble prayer that God will continue to bless and protect our Nation as we go forward.




No comments:
Post a Comment