Being the mom of a teenage boy can have it's challenges. Today was one of those days. Before sharing the frustration of today, let me share a little background. Yesterday, Josh missed the bus AGAIN! I sent him out to warm the car up, before driving him to school. I got my shoes on and headed out. I looked around and my car was not in the garage. Josh had taken it upon himself to back out of the garage. Jon has started letting him drive some at our lot but backing my new car out of the garage was another story.
I got in the car and in my most stern mommy voice told Josh, I didn't want him to do that again. I was concerned he would take one of the mirrors off. He promised not to do it again. Great! Now off to school.
Well today, surprise, Josh missed the bus. I sent him out to warm up the car while I grabbed my shoes. I was sure that after our little discussion yesterday, there would be no way he would back the car out.
I grabbed my shoes, darted down the stairs, rounded the corner into the kitchen. There stood my son, the look on his face and it's lack of color said it all.
I stopped on my tracks looked at Josh and asked, "what is wrong?". Josh blurted out, mom your car is stuck on the side of the garage. At this point please keep in mind that you can never prepare for moments like these, so I may not have handled it the best. I may have used a few choice swear words as I asked, "what do mean the car is stuck?" He looked down and told me quietly how he decided to back the car out. He was watching the the mirror so closely that he forgot about the right front bumper. I couldn't believe what I was hearing. My son did exactly what I asked him not to do, how could this be true? I slowly walked into the garage, afraid of what I would find. There was black beauty stuck against the side of the garage, just as Josh had said. After looking closely at the bumper, I once again found myself not acting as I should. Uggg, if only I could take moments like that back.
I assessed the situation, I had two choices. I could continue to back up which would result in taking the bumper completely off. My second choice was to pull forward but that would scrap the right front wheel well. I sat in the car, what choice would I make? I put the car in gear and forward I went. I could hear the scrapping, I was just sick inside. After some maneuvering I got the car out of the garage. I walked around to look at the damage. Josh continued to promise to pay for all the damages. I took pictures, knowing Jon would want see it.
Then it was off to school we went. On the way Josh called Jon to explain what he did. I could hear Jon on the phone, he was calm as he talked to Josh. I was thankful he was more in tune at that moment, because that is what my son needed.
In the end it all turned out. Jon put the bumper back in place. My friend, Crystal Parkinson was able to repair all the damage to the paint. Josh will be washing her dishes for a very long time as payment for the repairs.
I got in the car and in my most stern mommy voice told Josh, I didn't want him to do that again. I was concerned he would take one of the mirrors off. He promised not to do it again. Great! Now off to school.
Well today, surprise, Josh missed the bus. I sent him out to warm up the car while I grabbed my shoes. I was sure that after our little discussion yesterday, there would be no way he would back the car out.
I grabbed my shoes, darted down the stairs, rounded the corner into the kitchen. There stood my son, the look on his face and it's lack of color said it all.
I stopped on my tracks looked at Josh and asked, "what is wrong?". Josh blurted out, mom your car is stuck on the side of the garage. At this point please keep in mind that you can never prepare for moments like these, so I may not have handled it the best. I may have used a few choice swear words as I asked, "what do mean the car is stuck?" He looked down and told me quietly how he decided to back the car out. He was watching the the mirror so closely that he forgot about the right front bumper. I couldn't believe what I was hearing. My son did exactly what I asked him not to do, how could this be true? I slowly walked into the garage, afraid of what I would find. There was black beauty stuck against the side of the garage, just as Josh had said. After looking closely at the bumper, I once again found myself not acting as I should. Uggg, if only I could take moments like that back.
I assessed the situation, I had two choices. I could continue to back up which would result in taking the bumper completely off. My second choice was to pull forward but that would scrap the right front wheel well. I sat in the car, what choice would I make? I put the car in gear and forward I went. I could hear the scrapping, I was just sick inside. After some maneuvering I got the car out of the garage. I walked around to look at the damage. Josh continued to promise to pay for all the damages. I took pictures, knowing Jon would want see it.
Then it was off to school we went. On the way Josh called Jon to explain what he did. I could hear Jon on the phone, he was calm as he talked to Josh. I was thankful he was more in tune at that moment, because that is what my son needed.
In the end it all turned out. Jon put the bumper back in place. My friend, Crystal Parkinson was able to repair all the damage to the paint. Josh will be washing her dishes for a very long time as payment for the repairs.
No comments:
Post a Comment