``

``

Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Kids Market Place



 Today I had the opportunity to volunteer at Isabelle's school with the Kids Market Place.  Kids Market place is an event held each year for the 3rd graders. Each student is given a profession and a monthly salary.  They then use that salary to purchase items like housing, groceries, utilities, clothing, medical, furniture, charity, animals, transportation, and personal items.  They are required to visit each both and purchase an item.
Isabelle was given the occupation of a Soldier.  She was given the monthly salary of $350.  The day she received her occupation,  she came home from school and told me all about it.   She asked me the following question, " Why does a doctor make $450 a month and a Soldier only $350?  I explained to her that doctors go to school for a long time to become a doctor and they provide a much needed service in the community.  Then Izzy asked, as only as she can, "Well doesn't a Soldier provided the freedom so that a doctor can even become one."  I had no answer for that except to tell her that there is not always equality in the workforce. I explained to her that the great thing about being an American is that she can become whatever she wants and can change jobs get the salary she wants.

Back to today,  I had to opportunity to sit at the clothing table.  The students could buy the following items, thrift stores clothes $5, discount store $11, secondary store $18 or designer clothes $25.  Most of the students picked discount store clothes and surprisingly the rest opted for designer clothes.  It was not long before those that had purchased designer clothes were back to return those clothes and purchase something more affordable.  I have participated in this event with my other children and I love the concepts that it teaches the kids.
The best part about today was spending my time with my sweet little Soldier!!!!!!!!!





No comments:

Post a Comment