We arrived home from camping on July 4th and quickly got everything unpacked and everyone showered. Jon and I had purchased a small package of fireworks, sparklers and poppers for the kids. We had a great time as a family letting off fireworks, writing our names with sparklers and watching Olivia stomp on poppers with her shoes. I didn't notice until I put the pictures on computer that Izzy is wearing snow boots in July, what a silly girl.
The best part of today happened right after we finished our fireworks. Neighbors all around us started doing the big fireworks. It was better than going to park for the city fireworks. Our family then went to the backyard to watch them and to our amazement the entire mountain behind us was nothing but fireworks. It was so beautiful. It occurred to me at that moment how thankful I was to live in a Country where we are free to express our beliefs and show our patriotism. I wondered if those revolutionary soldiers who fought for our freedom truly understood the magnitude of how great our Nation would become. I am grateful for their sacrifice. I am thankful for the strong women of that time, that sent husbands off to fight and worked to maintain their farms and families, doing everything they could to support the cause. Several years ago I had the opportunity to go to Philadelphia with the National Guard for a family programs conference. I saw the liberty bell and stood in the room where the Constitution was written. However it was the day we traveled out to winter quarters that I will treasure the most. To see how those soldiers lived and what they experienced, is a hardship I know I could not bear. It is an overwhelming thought to think about how they suffered so much for the hope and promise to live as free men. Today renewed my faith in our Country, that even though it may seem at times our government is failing that it is a Nation like no other. I know that the Lord has protected and saved this nation to bring forth his gospel. I am humbled to be a small part of something so big and grand.
Very nice honey. I really am proud of you for all that you did for us when we were deployed. Soldiers have the easiest part it's the families that suffer the most.
ReplyDelete